Sunday, August 24, 2014

Birthday Parties

When I was pregnant with my first child, and shortly after she was born, I told myself, "Eh. You don't need to have a big first birthday party. She won't remember it." Though that's totally true, I realized that a nonexistent or small family party wasn't going to happen. Why? Because that's not who I am. I'm a celebrator. I throw parties. Do you know that for a few years in a row I threw an annual party for a holiday I made up? The party included t-shirts made for the event and everything. Of course I'm going to throw a big first birthday party! Then a 2nd, 3rd, 4th... until my kids ask me to stop. 

I LOVE a theme. I obsess over a theme. I start thinking of Halloween costumes for the next year while I'm still at the party wearing the current one. So when my kids chose a theme, I go with it. As far as I can. Whatever that means in my crazy head. 

So, because I really enjoy all these things does that mean I'm trying to show up anyone ? Trying to prove anything to anyone? No. Not even a little bit. I will full on admit I'm crazy about this stuff. I don't care how you throw a party. I don't take offense, or think, "Well they are trying to show me up with their minimalist ways." If I made a quilt for my bed you wouldn't assume anything about me just because you have a comforter from T.J. Maxx. I'm over the top. It's part of my personality. It's okay if it's not part of yours, but please don't think I'm trying to prove anything to anyone. 

Have my kids come to expect a crazy birthday party, with themed food, and matching costumes? Yes. Do I sometimes stress myself out to the max because of all the crazy projects I do for a party? Yes.  Does that mean I'm going to stop? No. 

Even if my kids can't remember their earliest parties, I will. The memory book of pictures will. It's something I look forward to talking about with them in the future. 

Does this all sound kind of selfish ? I listed a lot of things I like. Right now my kids like them too. If in the future they'd rather have a low key or nonexistent celebration, I may be disappointed but will totally do what will make them happy. I give a lot to my kids, and if throwing them elaborate parties because I like them makes me selfish, and some how a bad person, I'm okay with that. 

A rainbow party. 


My eye shadow must always match the theme. 

Guess the theme. 






Pin the bow on Hello Kitty. 


An Ariel themed turned mostly purple/teal under the sea theme


The birthday girl in her birthday costume. 


A tea party!



I had so much fun shopping local thrift stores for lace pieces and tea sets. 



This Wild West theme was chosen a month after he was born.





Yes. I even brought a horse. 


Pin the mustache on the cowboy. 








These will double as this years Halloween costume. If they don't change their minds. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment