Thursday, August 7, 2014

Fondue

So I'm hosting a slow cooker challenge on Facebook. This weeks challenge is to make a dessert in your slow cooker. On my quest to find a dessert recipe, I came across this one for S'mores fondue.  


And because I love a theme, I decided fondue for dinner was the way to go. Which then sent me on a search for a savory fondue. I searched Pinterest and ending up finding this. 






The thing is, I'm terrible at following recipes for the most part. I basically use them as a guide. Some suggestions, I guess. 



For the S'mores recipe I ended up using a 12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and almond milk along with the marshmallows from the recipe.  It was kind of a last minute decision, so I threw my slow cooker on high to get it warmed up. Then I forgot to turn it down and some of the marshmallows got crispy edges. So our fondue wasn't totally smooth. The kids didn't mind. They kept yelling,"I got a piece of marshmallow!" Following this recipe and allowing my kids to eat more chocolate than they should have, we still had a bunch left over. So it would probably be a great recipe for a party. We used, graham crackers, chocolate animal crackers, apple slices and cherries to dip in the chocolate fondue. I ended up putting some in a bowl because the slow cooker would have made it awkward for my kids to dip into. 



       S'mores fondue. Super easy to throw together. 



The dessert dippins. 

 

For the cheese recipe I used an Angry Orchard hard cider in place of the beer. I also forgot to buy mustard so that got the ax. I did throw some sriracha in for the hot sauce, but I didn't want to make it too spicy on the off chance my kids would give this a try. (more on that later) I guess my reading skills were a little off at this point, because I started making the recipe totally wrong. I threw in the cheese and cornstarch before realizing I was supposed to have warmed the beer, and other ingredients first. It was okay. I just added everything at once and started whisking. For dippers I cut up a baguette, some onion buns I found at the store, sausage, hot dogs, cauliflower and tomatoes. 



       Cheese fondue and  dippins. 





My kids wouldn't try the cheese dip but , of course,  loved the chocolate. They did, however, love the idea of serving themselves off of the plates from the middle of the table. I have done this once before, without the fondue, and it was a major hit. These little things are what I need to remember when a food battle starts. I hate the food battle. It's such a silly thing that I let myself get caught up in. 



                       Ready for some cheese fondue. Hold the cheese fondue please.



Mmmmmmm. Chocolate!




I would for sure make both of these recipes again. There was so many leftovers that I may cut recipes in half next time or wait until I have a shindig to bring them along to. 

 A hefty amount of leftovers!









No comments:

Post a Comment